Libanus was opened for public worship in 1782 as a Welsh-speaking Independent Calvinistic Chapel accepting the Savoy Declaration (1658) as its basis of doctrine.  Y Tabernacl in  Woodfield Street was opened in November 1872, with Libanus being re-opened in May 1873 as an English-speaking Chapel, and has since continued as such.

As a member church of the Congregational Union of England and Wales, Libanus decided not to enter the United Reformed Church in 1967, but to continue as an Independent Chapel, affiliating to the Evangelical Fellowship of Congregational Churches. More locally, affiliation was made to the Evangelical Movement of Wales, and then to the Associating Evangelical Churches of Wales in 1988.

The provisions in this Constitution were originally agreed by members at a meeting on 20 January 1994 and subsequently amended at meetings of the members in March 1998, October 2000, 9th July 2003 and 21st October 2008. This version is as amended following a meeting of the members on 18th October 2011.

To access a PDF document of the current Church constitution click the link below.

Libanus Church Constitution 2011