Libanus Church has been around in Morriston since 1782 telling people the same message of hope that is found in Jesus. In those hundreds of years a lot has changed, but a lot has stayed the same. The truth about Jesus has not changed and will never change, it is always relevant and applicable.
Our Church has a rich and long history but we are also blessed in the present. As we meet together and are encouraged as we praise God together.
Many people have an interest in the history and memories and like to look back and reflect on what has occurred. We hope you will find a great deal of benefit and encouragement as you are reminded of the faithfulness of God towards his people, over hundreds of years.
Libanus was established in 1782 but the Church emerged from Mynyddbach Chapel the first Independent Chapel in Swansea which began in 1640. Libanus' history and roots can be traced back to one of the first congregational churches in Wales.
A comprehensive history about how God has been moving and working in Libanus was compiled in 1982. This was mildly updated to include the history of the Church until 2007. This docuemnt can be freely viewed or downloaded here for anyone who is interested in how God has kept and preserved his Church after all these years.
There is also a much briefer summary of God's goodness below.
Libanus can trace its history back well over 300 years so we’ve been here a long time. There has been a church on its present site in Market Street for over 225 years. Here are some of the main events in that long history
1640 – A group of Christians secretly met to read the Bible and pray together. This assembly grew and later became Mynyddbach Chapel the oldest Independent, nonconformist, Congregational Chapel in Swansea. Libanus traces its roots back to this small private gathering.
1682 – A group of Christians started meeting at Tycoch an old thatched cottage on Bath Road Morriston.
1782 – Libanus Chapel built in Market Street, the first place of worship of any description in Morriston, and in 1857 the present chapel building was completed.
1859 – Was a time of growth and the decision was taken to build ,Tabernacle, a new chapel in Woodfield Steet, seating 1,450 people.
1872 – The language of Libanus to this date has been Welsh. However with an influx of English speakers to the area the original Libanus chapel in Market street was re-opened as an English speaking Congregational Church.
1907 – With the church growing, a new schoolroom was built to accommodate 300 children. The church was decimated by the second world war, with congregations, faith and vision diminishing. By the 1950’s, the church was in serious decline.
1962 – Rev. Neville Rees appointed pastor. The Bible was faithfully preached once more, and several meetings started or reformed. God blessed the ministry and the church started to grow again.1966/67 – the Church voted to affiliate to the Evangelical Fellowship of Congregational Churches (EFCC).
1970’, 80’s and 90’s – Saw steady church growth, with activities and meetings for all ages with a desire to reach out to both the local community and the wider world with the Christian message.
1997 – The church bought the restaurant opposite, refurbished the building and opened it as Centrepoint which provided much more space and an opportunity to provide increased activities.
2002 - Rev Neville Rees retired as Pastor.
2005 – The church building completely renovated and the interior transformed to one more suited to the 21st century.
2007 – Rev Stuart Dainty was appointed as Pastor. The son of missionary parents, Stuart studied at Bridgend before pastoring Bethany Baptist Church in Gwent .
2020 - Rev Stuart Dainty made the decision to step down as Pastor.