Pray For Afghanistan
By now many of us will have seen and heard the awful recent events happening in Afghanistan. With these harrowing events and the terror and fear gripping the nation it is only right that Christians gather together to pray for the country. We have produced a short video explaining a bit more about the dangers we want to help inform you so you can effectively pray for the situation.
About one hundred thousand people have been displaced from their homes as of May 21 because of conflict this year. However, since then this number is thought to have doubled. As a Church we have supported a number of refugees over many years and we know from their stories how hard it was for them to leave everything when they fled religious persecution.
One Christian who for safety reasons will remain anonymous has said “How we survive daily only God knows. He knows because he has been kind to dwell with us. But we are tired of all the death around us.” The situation is desperate and even more uncertain for the small Christian population, but even in the midst of the pain and sorrow, may they know that Jesus Christ is with them.
The Christian Charity Open Doors have suggested five prayer requests for Christians to pray and an additional prayer request from Libanus Church.
Points for Prayer
1. Please pray for the small group of believers in the country. They are walking on eggshells and are uncertain who to trust. Pray that they find strength, wisdom, and supernatural peace in God’s promises.
2. Pray for the displaced. A new wave of refugees is expected to come from Afghanistan to many parts of the Middle East and the rest of the world. Pray for God’s protection and provision over them in their journeys.
3. Pray for the women. Many women fear that the Taliban rule would mean they would be stripped of opportunities for education. Women involved in education during the past years could also be at risk – pray for their protection.
4. Pray for the sick. Though underreported in international media, Covid-19 cases are spiking in the country and hospitals are limited in what they can offer. There is no certainty as to how the healthcare system will be able to sustain itself with the new Taliban government. Pray that the healthcare system will not collapse.
5. Pray that the country will not be a haven for extremists. The Taliban government of 20 years ago are known enablers of extremist Islamic organisations. With their newfound control over Afghanistan, the country could be host to a new generation of terror groups.
6. Pray that People will be saved. As this awful crisis rages, we acknowledge that the greatest need for all people is to come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Pray that even in this situation the gospel would grow.
Please join us and pray for Afghanistan.